Christchurch Update 22/02/11 10:30 GMT
As you may be aware at around 1300 hours New Zealand time, Christchurch sustained another major earthquake which has caused significant damage and taken many lives. At this time we have no reports of injuries to colleagues or their families in the immediate area. Colleagues we have been able to make contact with are, as you would imagine, under considerable pressure and working hard to assist those in need. The thoughts of all members of the WRO are with them at this difficult time.
We have been in touch with the UFBA, WRC hosts, and ARRO who have confirmed that New Zealand is committed to hosting the challenge and that it will go ahead in July. However it is extremely unlikely to proceed in Christchurch due to the damage to infrastructure and the demands it would place on local organisations.
ARRO, the UFBA and the WRO will be working continuously over the next few days to identify another venue in New Zealand capable of hosting the challenge. Subject to availability, this may mean that dates vary slightly. As soon as we have confirmation of a new arrangement, all WRO members will be advised.
All members are urged to hold off making any travel and accommodation bookings for the next few days until a new venue and accommodation options are confirmed.
This should not deter teams and organisations from registering to participate in the challenge.
More information on the challenge will be made available as we have it and posted on both the ARRO, UFBA and WRO web sites. Thank you for your support and understanding under the current circumstances.
Direct Dial: 01698 402285 Mobile: +44(0)7976 620 522 | E-mail: email@example.com